If you’re an experienced stylists who’s been thinking about taking the entrepreneurial leap and opening up your own hair salon, you’re undoubtedly a little nervous about the prospect. Starting your own business is always scary… you’re leaving behind the security of an existing job and taking on all the responsibility.
Having a fear of failure is completely normal, but there are two types of people in the world: those who let it stop them, and those who don’t.
Should you find yourself wondering whether you have what it takes, consider the following traits of successful salon owners. If it sounds like a description of you, then you’re well equipped to take on the challenge—and reap the rewards—of owning your own hair studio.
Qualities of Successful Hair Salon Entrepreneurs
- A love of hair styling – If you love the art and craft of doing hair, you’ll bring the necessary passion to running your salon and serving your clients.
- A love of learning – That passion probably drives you to keep learning about hair. But you also need to learn about different aspects of running a business, like budgeting, marketing, bookkeeping, etc.
- Driven – You don’t just need drive to learn; you also need the drive to push past obstacles, to keep finding ways to improve, and to do what it takes to succeed.
- Organized – Managing your own salon requires scheduling, managing finances and possibly employees, keeping your life in balance, and other challenges that require organization. This includes having strong time-management skills for salon owners.
- Independence – Being the ultimate decision maker is very different from being an employee. Successful salon owners are willing and able to prioritize and get things done without supervision or direction.
- Dedication to customer service – Business owner must never lose sight of delivering high value and stellar service to their consumers with remarkable, repeatable experiences.
- Willingness to self-promote – Some people feel self-conscious about self-promoting. But successful salon owners are eager to build their brand, reach new people, and sell themselves. And, along similar lines, you also need to be willing to charge what you’re worth.
- Professionalism – No entrepreneur can make it without acting like a professional. This doesn’t mean you have to be boring or corporate-like. Mostly, it just means having respect… for your commitments, and for other people and their time.
- Resilience – Operating any business has its ups and downs. You must be able to bounce right back from mistakes and challenges, learn a lesson, and get back at it with determination, a little wiser than you were before.
- Ability to provide self-care – To have success as a beauty entrepreneur in the long-term—especially when you define success beyond your income—you’ll need to focus not just on business, but also your physical, mental, and emotional health. Never forget the importance of maintaining work-life balance as a salon owner.
Ready to Open Your Own Hair Salon?
While it’s always a little scary to start your own business, Porte Noire eliminates a great deal of the normal risk and difficulties that come with opening a salon.
Renting our upscale, furnished studio space means you don’t need all the startup cash, or to put your life savings on the line. So much is included, from appliances to liability insurance to marketing support and more. You’re totally independent, but not at all alone.
Read more about what you get when you open your own hair salon with Porte Noire.